COAGULATION UNKNOWN CONFERENCES
Andy Nguyen,M.D./ UT-Medical School at Houston, Pathology/
Last Revision on: 8/1/2006
- Guide for Coagulation Unknowns
- 1. Unknown Conference 1
- Case 1 : A 4 year-old boy
presented with a marked bruising tendency of the arms and legs.
- Case 2 : A 42 year-old man brought
to the emergency room with severe burn.
- Case 3 : A 32 year-old woman presented
with a “rash” that appeared 3 days ago over her legs.
- 2. Unknown Conference 2
- Case 4 : A 21 year-old male seen
in the emergency room with a swollen, tender right knee.
- Case 5: A 46-year-old woman S/P appendectomy
with postoperative wound infection,received antibiotics, now patient begins to
bleed from the surgical wound.
- Case 6 : A 10 year-old male admitted with
symmetric swelling of upper thighs, with tenderness.
- 3. Unknown Conference 3
- Case 7 : A 45 year-old woman
admitted with massive hemoptysis.
- Case 8 : A 73 year-old woman
with acute rectal bleeding.
- Case 9 : A 55 year-old woman with
renal failure, prolonged Bleeding Time.
- 4. Unknown Conference 4
- Case 10 : A 67 year-old man with
deep-vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolus, on heparin, now with thrombocytopenia.
- Case 11 : A 60 year-old man, who travels from
London to Houston on a business trip, needs to monitor Coumadin therapy.
- Case 12 : A 23 year-old woman status-post
cholecystectomy, now with a prolonged bleeding time of 15 minutes.
- 5. Unknown Conference 5
- Case 13 : A 45 year-old man, S/P two-vessel
coronary artery bypass procedure, now with bleeding from the surgical site.
- Case 14 : A 35 year-old man with evaluation
of a lifelong tendency to bleed from superficial wounds.
- Case 15 : A 51 year-old man with history of
chronic alcoholism, abnormal coagulation screen.
- 6. Unknown Conference 6
- Case 16 : A 36 year-old woman with SLE,
DVT, on Heparin, with a need to monitor heparin therapy.
- Case 17 : A 75 year-old woman with
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, S/P surgury, on heparin, now with thrombocytopenia.
ANSWERS TO CASES